In its 10th year, the Internet Retailer Conference and Exhibition (IRCE) is the world’s largest e-commerce event. 10,000 retailers, manufacturers, marketers, distributors and service professionals gather at the industry-leading conference each June in Chicago.
The Vice President, IRCE will be critical to the success of all elements of assigned events and their strategy, growth and profitability including sales, marketing, financial management and administration and management of direct and matrixed staff.
Key responsibilities include:
- Grow existing events strategically, using industry knowledge, customer, client, associations, boards, vendor, and press relationships.
- Lead content and speaker development coordination with Vertical Web Media and other industry partners and resources
- Oversee marketing strategy to achieve maximum attendance scope, using digital and traditional marketing strategies, advertising, telemarketing, public relations, and promotional opportunities
- Oversee exhibit and sponsorship sales and marketing, developing new and valuable opportunities for exhibitors that enhance the event’s profitability
- Develop long-term development plans for the eCommerce group, including show expansions, new launches, partnerships, acquisitions and international extensions.
- Research and develop new elements to events to add value to participants – and profitable revenue–including new product/services on the exhibit floor, extended conference features, sponsorship, cross marketing programs with other Emerald events and more.
- Manage financial activity of events, including budget development and on-going P&L and cash flow management
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Extensive experience in all aspects of developing, administering and managing events
- Exhibition and sponsorship management track record
- Paid conference development and management track record
- Direct staff management and cross-functional matrix team leadership experience
- eCommerce and technology industry knowledge and relationships
- Partner management and negotiation expertise, to drive content, promotion and industry support for events
- Successful full P&L responsibility, preferably with an event portfolio
Skills and abilities:
- Strategic and long-term planning capabilities
- Strong organizational skills and a proven ability to execute on tactical plans
- Proven ability to manage and develop direct reports
- Instinctive ability to make positive revenue-generating decisions
- Exposure to/responsibility for technology events
- Strong negotiating and contract management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with managers within the organization outside of his/her span of control
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Highly organized with very effective time management skills
- Great attention to detail