Contract magazine, a professional/trade magazine with a readership of practicing architects, interior designers, and related professionals focused on commercial interiors, seeks a Managing Editor. Contract is a 58-year-old leading professional trade magazine for the commercial architecture and interior design market that publishes 10 annual issues in print and is online at contractdesign.com. This particular position is vital to manage various aspects of the magazine’s operation for both print and online. The position is important for the growth and future of the Contract brand.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Manage and oversee all aspects of the print production and digital production of the magazine from initial layout through electronic page proofs
- Assist the editor in chief with the short- and long-term plans for editorial content
- Establish and maintain the magazine production schedule in consultation with the editor in chief, creative director, and production manager
- Line edit, proofread/copyedit, and traffic all pages electronically as PDFs; input corrections; conduct final edits
- Manage relationships with freelance writers and photographers
- Enforce external deadlines and manage invoice payments
- Establish and maintain relations with industry leaders and advertisers
- Seek out new interior design projects and new architectural products for coverage in the magazine and online
- Write stories about interior design projects, architectural products, industry news, design trends, people profiles
- Represent the magazine at industry events and trade shows
- Participate in magazine’s social media platforms, including TalkContract blog, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin, Tumblr, etc.
- Assist in coordination of annual projects and events, including the Interiors Awards, Best of NeoCon Awards, Healthcare Environment Awards, Nightingale Awards, and Contract Design Forum
As a qualified candidate, you will have:
- Bachelors Degree (minimum), preferably in Journalism or Communications or possibly in Design
- 4 years’ experience in publishing
- Strong writing and copyediting skills
- Basic understanding of Content Management Systems (CMS) and HTML, WYSIWYG editors
- Proficiency in Photoshop or related image-editing program for basic photo resizing
- Proficiency in InDesign and/or InCopy
- Knowledge or strong interest in interior design and architecture
- Experience working cooperatively and diplomatically with authors. Able to do the same with designers, some of whom may be prominent figures in their field, and their representatives.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, tact, sensitivity, and mature judgment are required. Excellent interpersonal skills and aptitude to build and maintain productive relationships.
- Must be self-motivated and have strong leadership ability and work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Must be collaborative, organized, creative, and efficient, able to work successfully both individually and as part of a team.
- Able to manage multiple articles and projects simultaneously and work independently while managing multiple and sequential deadlines is required.