The Associate Editor is primarily responsible for writing, researching, developing and editing content for print magazines and e-newsletters for two brands, SportsFan Retailer and Impressions, as well as functioning as a full-time online editor for their websites. This person also will perform copy reading and proofing layouts, as well as attend various national industry trade events.
- Research and write full-length features, departments, columns, product descriptions and other projects monthly and by deadline.
- Gather/write industry news.
- Function as product category editor as assigned.
- Support other editors as needed with various functions.
- Attend tradeshows and events as assigned, reporting and facilitating professional relationships; and follow-up post show, as necessary.
- Edit layouts and manuscripts.
- Manage branded social media accounts
- Write and post website content of varying subject matter.
- Maintain/organize website sections, republish and update articles as needed.
- Manage all online content functions of the site, including formatting, updating daily/monthly, and working with digital support team on troubleshooting problems, etc.
- Brainstorm publication/newsletter/website article ideas with the Executive Editor.
- Research and write content for monthly e-newsletter.
- Compose monthly e-newsletter template and distribute.
- Compose and publish Awards Galleries online.
- Compose, test and blast digital edition notifications and Tech Tips newsletter notifications.
- Test and blast digital newsletter reblast (end of month)
- Must be proficient in AP style
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite (Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, etc.).
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite of software products.
- Prefer knowledge of a content management system (CMS) and search engine optimization/keyword best practices.
- Strong interpersonal, written, interviewing and verbal communication skills.
- Creative, outside-the-box thinking in independent or team environment.
- Self-driven, with highly effective time management skills.
- Able to multi-task/handle multiple projects in a busy setting.
- Highly organized, deadline-oriented with strong attention to detail.
- Highly proficient using multiple software platforms, Internet applications that include social media.
- Strong, creative writer with knowledge to organize content for articles, as well as stellar grammar and spelling skills.
- Able to travel to approximately 3 shows per year (up to 5 days and may include weekends).
- BA in journalism, English (or related)
- Minimum 2 years editing experience (at a magazine, newspaper or on a website)
- Minimum 2 years writing experience