Contract magazine, a 58-year-old leading magazine for the commercial architecture and interior design market, seeks an Associate Editor. This particular position has responsibilities for writing and editing for both print and online. The person is vital to produce the brand’s online content and to grow the online presence via our web site and social media. The Associate Editor will also assist as needed with organization and administration of Best of NeoCon Awards, Healthcare Environment Awards, Nightingale Awards, Interiors Awards, and Interiors Awards Breakfast.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Write daily product and industry news updates and post to Web site.
- Produce weekly newsletter and monthly product alert newsletter.
- Responsible for weekly blogging and daily social media Twitter/Facebook/Instagram/Tumblr updates.
- Develop additional online feature content, such as weekly Q&A profiles with designers, contributed content, and a weekly project feature story with photo gallery (lead story for weekly newsletter).
- Manage information updates to Web site-special events, Interiors Awards, Inspirations Awards, Best of NeoCon(R) Awards, Healthcare Environment Awards.
- Help develop and execute new online projects and content to drive Internet revenue potential.
- Research and write about the latest interior products.
- Write regular monthly Industry news items for magazine.
- Write additional monthly features and content as required/assigned, such as project features, product/materials focuses, trend pieces, etc.
- Assist editor in chief and managing editor with copyediting and fact-checking for the print content.
- Attend and cover industry trade shows and conferences as assigned.
- Meet regularly with architects, interior designers, and product manufacturers to develop content.
- Represent the magazine at various industry events and functions (generally one to two per week)
As a qualified candidate, you will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications, or related field. Graduates of design-related degrees with strong writing and editing skills will also be considered.
- At least two years of experience in an editorial role with an online or print publication.
- Strong communication, writing, editing, and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in Word and Excel, and rich text word processing programs (Text Edit, Notepad, etc.).
- Knowledge of architecture and interior design, or at least a strong interest in the subject-matter.
- Basic understanding of Content Management Systems (CMS) and HTML, WYSIWYG editors.
- Proficiency in Photoshop or related program for basic photo resizing.
- Proficiency in InDesign or InCopy, or ability to quickly learn these programs.
- Proficiency in social media and blogging strategy, using WordPress, Facebook, Twitter (Hootsuite, Sprout Social, Tweet Deck), LinkedIn, Tumblr, Vimeo, Instagram.
- Experience working cooperatively and diplomatically with staff and freelance authors. Must have the ability to do the same with designers, some of whom may be prominent figures in their field, and their representatives.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, tact, sensitivity, and mature judgment are required. Excellent interpersonal skills with the aptitude to build and maintain productive relationships are essential.
- Must be self-motivated and work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be collaborative, organized, creative, and efficient, able to work successfully both individually and as part of a team.
- Able to work with multiple articles and projects simultaneously, and work independently while managing multiple and sequential deadlines is required.